Physical Character & Historical Ecology

This path is about four feet wide and runs between the fences of the gardens of adjacent properties. The existence of this path probably dates from the opening of the Free (charity) School about 1683. It would have provided a short cut to the school for the children who lived in Black Street (formerly called Church Street). The O.S. Map of 1884 shows the path running along the southern edge of a field, however when bungalows were built on the field, the path was fenced. The school closed in 1880 by which time the Martham Board School - built on Glebe land close to the Church - had opened. Although this path was no longer a route to school it was well used for other purposes, and gives direct access to White Street.