Physical Character & Historical Ecology

The ancient green lane going northwards from Moregrove is the one which would have been used by the farmers since mediaeval times to drive their livestock from the farm to the Common. It is about 12 feet wide. At one time it probably had hedges each side. The stretches that remain are rich in plant species. The hedge on the west side includes oak, hawthorn, white willow, elm, elder, sycamore, poplar and maple. The hedge on the east side is about two feet above the level of the adjoining field and includes hawthorn, bramble, sloe, ivy, rose, hazel, elm, pussy willow, maple, ash and sycamore. We found common yellow toadflax which we had not seen anywhere else on our walks. These are very ancient hedges which have signs of having been layered in the past.

At TG453196 the green lane takes a right angle west turn to follow the edge of the former common. Here it is about 15 feet wide and has a ditch which was formerly the land spring drain along the south side. On the south side of the ditch are 12 mature white poplar trees as well as gorse, hawthorn, alder, elder and oak. This part of the green lane was originally used to drive livestock westwards to the drier part of the Common.

On the north side near where the green lane approaches Ferrygate Lane are crack willow, pine, ash, sycamore, poplar, bullace and privet. This stretch of the green lane was Private Road No.13 on the Enclosure Map of 1812.