The footpath from Low Road at TG443175
to Grange Farm TG436173 and on to the boundary with Repps
Parish at TG435173
The footpath starts from where Low
Road takes a right angle bend to continue south.
It is the point where from 1878 to 1959 the railway used
to run and there was a level crossing. Only the
gatekeeper’s bungalow remains.
Perhaps Low Road actually follows the
route of a former footpath or green lane which has since
been widened. The path crosses a cropped field.
It appears that the footpath is not regularly
re-instated. When the path reaches a green track
at TG440174 it continues straight across another cropped
field until the track known as Common Road is reached
near to Grange Farm. The path crosses that track
and continues across a meadow used for grazing until the
boundary with Repps Parish is reached.
The footpath must be a very ancient
one as it would have been the route used by the people
living at Grange Farm to go to the Church. Grange
Farm is the modern name of a settlement that existed
from perhaps pre-Norman times. It was the hamlet
of Sco where people had settled on what was the edge of
part of the Common. The course of the stream that
is the boundary between Martham and Repps may have been
wider before the marshes were drained, therefore the
path may be where it was dry enough to cross the stream.
beginning of the footpath at TG443175. Here you
see that a new crop has been sown but the footpath has
not yet been re-instated
back east at TG440175 across the field where peas had
just been harvested
west from TG440175 where the path has not been used
since the corn was sown
back after we had walked the path
back from the track at TG436173
6. The path
continues through the meadow to the boundary with
Repps at TG435173