The green lane from the end of Playingfield Lane to the
Broiler House ie from TG453176 to TG458174
Character and Historical Ecology
The green lane begins where the
surfaced road – Playingfield Lane ends at the club house
beside the Playing Field. This is a very ancient
track which can be identified on Faden’s Map of 1797.
Its existence is shown on the Enclosure Map of 1812,
however west of Rollesby Road it is not numbered.
The part of the green lane which
continues on the east side of Rollesby Road appears on
Faden’s Map and it is shown as Private Road No. 8 on the
Enclosure Map going right through to Martham Hall.
However, when the railway was built, the lane to Martham
Hall was blocked. As a through lane it seems to
have been abandoned and become part of the adjacent
field which is surprising as it would have seemed an
appropriate place for a level crossing. It would
have been the route to the main road to Rollesby from
Where the track starts at the end of
the Playing Field, there is a hedge on the west side
with possibly a ditch in the dense undergrowth. The
hedge has numerous species including hawthorn,
blackthorn, bramble, ivy, sycamore, oak, elder and
holly. The lane continues between the fences of the
two sections of the playing field. On the south
side is a hedge of hawthorn.
Across Rollesby Road the lane
continues east. It is about 12 feet in width, with
on the north side a ditch with a hedge on the far side
and the fences of the gardens of the properties on the
housing estate. On the south side of the lane
are open fields. At the end of the lane is a
broiler farm and bungalow.
1. Looking back at the beginning
of the track
2. Looking back from the next
bend in the track
3. The point where the track
crosses Rollesby Road
4. Looking east from Rollesby
5. Looking back (west) along the
same part of the track
6. Looking east at the end of the
track at TG458174
7. Looking east at the end of the
track where it used to continue towards Martham Hall
before it was closed when the railway was built.